Thursday, June 22, 2017

Camellia Court






























Camellia Court is again one of the old antebellum structures in Greensboro, Alabama. I am very happy that this will be my home for three weeks and that I will inhabit the entire house by myself. Camellia Court was built around 1835 and has been renovated to comprise open spaces on both floors. Only the bathrooms have doors.






























Camellia Court is named after  what was to become the Alabama state flower in 1959, Camellia japonica, a plant introduced to Alabama from Asia. I think it was part of 19th century exoticism that people would plant this in their yards. As a state flower the camellia dethroned the local goldenrod as – according to the narrative – the state deserved something more refined than this ubiquitous wild flower. Of course there are camellias in the garden, but as they are also called the rose of winter I found only a few withered blossoms.

the side of the house

















the front porch



































The house is hiding behind bushes and big trees from the street, thus it feels really remote, even though it is situated just behind the court house one block off of Main Street. From the front windows I can see my last residence, the Poellnitz-Vick House.



















The two story house has an open kitchen and living room downstairs and a bedroom, desk, and sofa plus TV screen upstairs. As always I like to sit in the kitchen, thus slowly I have been moving most of my work downstairs.






























The kitchen has a large door and a small porch facing the garden. Just now the door is open and I hear the rain (tropical storm Cindy is sending epic masses of water from the Caribbean pouring down on Alabama) but also the crickets which tend to be really loud at the time of sunset.
















 

















Pam, the owner, has left a few walls in the old state, which adds a nice vintage feel. And the old wooden floor is just amazing.















































Something that one may find odd at the beginning is taking a shower with a free view on the garden. But as there are thick greens barring the view to the next door neighbors this is a nice way to start the day.


























No comments: